Saturday, October 22nd, 2011 10:05 am
With a couple of exceptions, I haven't been able to bury myself in the family history this week.

I did receive a couple of email contacts though. From a man who seems very insistent that I have incorrectly identified the wife of one of my Conners.

He left two post-its a couple of minutes apart on Margaret E Blann's individual record, saying she was not a Blann, but a Hays instead.

The problem with that is that her FAG memorial says her stone is inscribed, Daughter of J and L Blann, wife of J A Conner. (J A Conner is James Alfred Conner, my second great-grand uncle.) I've replied to him with that information. I can't change the gravestone inscription, and since it was "carved in stone" at the time of her death, I tend to place more credibility on Blann as her maiden surname than his cryptic post-it, which offers no sources at all.

I know he's been in FAG, because he also told me - in a separate email - I had misspelled the name of the cemetery, and referred me to two FAG memorials in that cemetery as proof of the correct way to spell the name of the cemetery.

They are my memorials, and the name of the cemetery is misspelled in FAG. I can't change that, either.
Maybe it's just a difference in style of approach.

When I find something online that looks like the same person in my tree, but different information, I poke around for hours trying to see how the other person might have arrived at the conclusions s/he reached before I make contact.

And in my email, I cite the sources I used to draw my own conclusions.

I just figure that's the best way for either of us to make the changes we can...