|dee_burris (dee_burris) wrote,|
@ 2012-06-09 08:09 pm UTC
|Entry tags:||little rock ar, mount saint mary, photo;place, pulaski county|
Mount St Mary's Convent, when it was originally located at West 7th and Louisiana Streets. It was blessed on 1 Nov 1851.
Irish bishop Andrew Byrne of St. Mary's Mission near Pine Bluff, Arkansas, called thirteen members of the Sisters of Mercy from Naas, Ireland, to establish St. Mary's Convent in Little Rock in 1850. The convent had a chapel, music room, and a drawing and reception room by 1881.
In 1886 Mother Alphonsus Carton supervised eleven sisters, three novices, and four postulants at the convent.
Mount St Mary's Academy moved to Pulaski Heights in 1908.